Small introduction: The Student Plenum – an informal student organization, uniting the biggest progressive core of students in Macedonia, expressing dissatisfaction with the latest reforms of educational systems which destroy the autonomy of the universities, and dissatisfied with the way the government treats their requests (the amendments of the law were adopted at 3 am in the morning, without including the Student Plenum in the debata, which was non-existent anyway), as final measure of resistance occupied the faculties.
So far, the students occupied the faculties of Philosophy, Philology, Law and Economics at the Sts. Cyril and Methodius University in Skopje.
Coverage of the “occupation,” which includes thousands student participants, by the media—the TV stations with national coverage, and especially by the Public Service Macedonian Television (MTV)—is nonexistent or, mildly said, pitiful. Here’s how the pro-government TV stations, which cover most of the market, informed about the first day of the occupation:
- The 4 pm news on Sitel TV aired the news about the occupation in the 16:27 minute of the show, and the news item had duration of 1:30 minutes.
- On MTV, which is paid by all the citizens and is obliged to inform objectively, the 5 pm news aired the news in the 17:25 minute, with a duration of 0:55 mintues – yes, the news lasted for 55 seconds!
- Alfa TV news from 5:30 pm the news was mentioned in the 17:55 minute with a duration of 1 minute and 20 seconds.
All these newcasts presented the event with negative connotations including commenting. The same approach was repeated during the main evening news – all these TVs aired the short item at about the same time (from the 25th to 27th minute overall, depending on the speed of reading by the presenters). Looks incredibly orchestrated to me!
TV stations which are not directly in league with the regime: Telma, 24 Vesti, and Alsat M, reported objectively, and all of them started their newcasts with the news about the occupation and devoted significant time to it.
The following photo and video collection is a guerilla attempt to gather and archive the contents presented by the freedom-oriented internet portals, as well as material recorded by the participants and observers, who cover the occupation of the universities.
(English translation: Filip Stojanovski)
Video by professor Katerina Kolozova :
– Автономен бурек– упад на студентите во емисијата „Јади Бурек“
Plus Info MK:
Video intermezzo – Marija Prévert:
Emrah H. Redzepi: Фото
– Филозовски – Автономна зона
Official Links of Student Plenum: